The canister can be mounted in any location that the current vent line is located. The canister is installed between the fuel tank vent fitting and the fresh air vent fitting. Thought must be given to the following when choosing a location:
- The hose connections to the canister must be accessible for inspection and service.
- The canister should not be mounted in a location where it will be stepped on or otherwise have a force exerted upon it.
- The canister is designed to withstand a temperature of 115°C continuously. Short term excursions (15 minutes) to 125°C is acceptable.
- The canister can be mounted in any orientation.
- If mounted in the engine compartment, the canister must have a heat shield (this is an optional component that will be integral to the canister).
The fuel tank vent system must be designed in such a way that liquid fuel is not passed through the vent line and into the canister. The vent system must also prevent the intake of water into the vent system and into the canister. These are requirements of the EPA regulation. When designing your fuel system, you must also consider fuel expansion and situations such as storage of the vessel with a full tank on an incline.
Mounting of the Canister
The canister (with the bracket) is designed to be mounted with four #10 screws or 3/16” bolts. This is the setup that has been validated to ABYC standards. If the end user chooses to mount the canister in some other fashion, they are responsible for the validation of the mounting. Please note that the canister has an internal plate and spring that must be able to move inside the body of the canister. For this reason, any mounting mechanism must not constrain the body for 25 mm from either end of the canister body.
Connection of the Vent Line to the Canister
The vent hose must be anchored to the boat structure within 6 inches of the canister fittings. The vent hose must be routed to prevent a load from being exerted onto the canister fittings.
The hose clamp must be a minimum of 3/8" wide. The clamp must not distort the fitting on the canister when tightened.